zlien is hiring a Director of People Operations who wants to build a department, keep us moving fast, and lead outside of a “traditional” HR environment. This role requires someone driven to innovate instead of optimize, a bias towards proactivity, and a commitment to flawless execution. One of our core values is “Most Important Place to Work” and in this role you will build out a department that pushes zlien’s recruiting, talent development, and culture forward to deliver on that value for 100+ people.
If you have the right stuff to join us, you'll work among passionate professionals who are disrupting a $1 trillion industry, in a fast-paced, rapidly growing, and professionally challenging environment.
What we’ll expect from you:
- Vision & Execution: You’ll join our vision and bring your own to support our culture and values as we grow from 80 people in two offices to 200+ people and multiple offices in the next 3 years.
- Recruiting & Hiring: zlien hires 1 new person every week between our New Orleans and Cairo, Egypt offices. We don’t just need the best candidates in our cities, we need the best in our countries. You will multiply the pipeline of candidates that our Directors have for their open positions by acting as an internal headhunter. And the candidates you just added to the pipeline need to be interviewed and topgraded by your busy peers. You will own the vision and administration of making the hiring process more efficient for the managers so that they spend more time creating the value of their departments.
- Talent Development: Our staff are ambitious and they get restless in their seats. They want more and we want to give them more. Our success depends on it. In your first 6 months here you will evolve the way that we do talent assessment and planning so that employees have dynamic, individualized plans for their professional development.
- Driving Culture: Our company culture is one of our greatest assets. We all own it, and you will be its steward. When teams double their size in a month, or are giving all their effort for weeks on end, or are lost in the weeds of day to day work, you will be the watchman. You will invigorate the community through happy hours or speakers or massages, or bringing trends to leadership’s attention. Our core values influence everything we do, and you will make sure that they are thriving in the zlien community.
- Human Resources: We get excited about driving growth and culture, but also know how to keep the right boxes checked. You’ll own “HR.” That’s benefits and payroll, our HRIS, onboarding, compliance, policies, etc. And when we add employees in new states or countries, you’ll make sure that all i’s are dotted and t’s crossed.
- Keep the Lights On: You’ll work with our Office & Community Managers to make sure our offices run smoothly and our employees have everything they need to be successful.
Specifically, you’ll do the following within your first 9 months:
- Build a talent acquisition and development method that caters to every employee in the company in 6 months.
- Take on full management of national recruiting pipeline that sources 5 passive-candidate hires in the first 6 months
- Move zlien’s Employee Growth engagement metric to the 90th percentile based on industry benchmarks
- Manage the Sales team’s expansion into a second geographic location including the office logistics, candidate pipeline, and regulatory compliance
- Help 10 employees with their graduate school applications or job searches. That’s right. We care about the next step our employees take, and we’re going to make them successful while they are here and when they leave.
What Should Be True About You
- You are excited to take on major responsibility in a company with an ambitious roadmap that expects its leaders to move at a fast pace and not miss deadlines or deliverables.
- You are resourceful, and are happy to take direction or figure something out yourself.
- You court new challenges and have a vision for how People Operations adds value in high growth companies.
- You are comfortable going out into the community to create partnerships, run recruiting events, or speak on zlien's behalf.
- You want to set and be held to high expectations every day.
- You are energized by the thought of rolling out new initiatives and methods through a company and getting buy-in.
- You want to be pushed and challenged in your work environment to be held accountable to high expectations.
- You are fluent in the core requirements of human resources – employee and benefits administration, compliance, employment law.
You’ll Work With...
- You will work directly with the Vice President of Operations & Strategy and closely with the CEO, VP of Revenue, Chief Technology Officer, and Chief Legal Officer
- The Finance team who currently runs payroll and our HRIS system
- Office & Community Managers in New Orleans and Cairo
- 10+ Directors and Managers actively engaged in hiring
At zlien, we’re all working to make complex things simple, and that’s because we believe simple things are more fair, transparent, and empowering than complicated things. In construction, one of the globe’s biggest industries, the payment process is over-complex. We’re building a simple ecosystem around payment that connects builders, subcontractors, suppliers, developers, banks, and others in the exchange of payment. It solves a headache. It strives to make complicated things simple. And ultimately, it shines light on a very unjust and messy process, making it more fair and transparent for all.
We’re a high-growth technology startup based in New Orleans, Louisiana, and we’re in the exciting construction technology category. We have San Francisco venture investors, like Brick & Mortar Ventures and Altos Ventures. We’re a rapidly growing team working on interesting and worthwhile problems, and we have a mountain of opportunity for you.
Are you ready?
Benefits & What We Offer:
- You’re going to love us
- You’re going to be challenged
- We care about where your career will be in 3, 5, or 10+ years, and in getting you there
- 100% paid individual medical insurance. Option to add dental, vision, and dependent coverages.
- Flexible sick & personal leave policy
- Open vacation policy without any maximum. We do require employees to take a minimum of 5 days off in a row each year.
- Subsidized International Travel: We subsidize international travel airfare. Qualify for one subsidy every 12 months, with amount of subsidy determined by tenure (i.e. $450 in 1st year, $650 in second year, and so on.)
- Equity, per company’s general stock grant plan
- Annual budget to attend industry conferences and events, and for other product, UX, and product management education opportunities